Faith, Young Adults, and Urban Partnernships

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Reflection: Tuesday July 10


HI! My name is Katrina Andrejco! I am 20 years old and going into my junior year of college. I have lived in the city of Trenton my whole life and I wanted to work with LIT to experience my city through the eyes of my Lutheran peers. I am really excited to look back and reflect on all that we have accomplished this summer.

Today was our second day doing Vacation Bible School at St. Bartholomew (my home church). Only half of the LIT group was at St. Bart, and the other half traveled over to Elect Saints to help out with their vacation bible school as well. It is hard not working closely with some of the friends you have made, but it is great to come back together at the end of the day for devotions to hear about what another church is doing and how two groups of children are hearing God’s word at the same time across Trenton.  I really enjoyed leading the children in learning a very exciting Bible story! The story of Lazarus is always an interesting one, but when you are making it real to elementary students it becomes something very different.

 I have never understood this Bible story or questioned it as much as have today. For example, through all the times that I have read or listened I never thought about it as deeply as I had to for today’s Bible story. I never thought about the fact that tombs were re-used in bible times, and how bad Lazarus would have smelled after three days.  However, what one child brought up something I never thought of before. She asked me, “Why did Jesus not come and help his friend right away? That was very selfish and mean of him.” It was hard to find and answer to that. There is still so much of the Bible that I don’t understand, and I do not know if I will ever understand why Jesus did not come to help Lazarus until after he died, except to bring glory to God. 

I love doing Vacation Bible School; it has to be one of my favorite times of the year.  It is a chance to truly see God through the eyes of his youngest children, and understand the bible from their point of view.  I cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings for the children, flying through the SKY with God at St. Bart.

“Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in love, in faith, and in purity.”   -  1 Timothy 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment