Faith, Young Adults, and Urban Partnernships

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

2013 LiT Kick Off Retreat, Day 1

Hello! My name is Lydia Nelson, and I am one of the pastors of St. Paul Lutheran Church in East Windsor. I am one of the local pastors who is involved with the Lutherans in Trenton project (I am "in charge" of this blog and I will be facilitating this year's book discussion). I am not from around here - Wisconsin is where I was born and raised, and I spend my college and seminary years in the Midwest as well. I decided to be part of LiT because I am dismayed by the tension between facts and opinions people have about Trenton. From living here for almost two years I have learned that this is a hurting city with people doing their best to get by, abandoned by their dysfunctional government, abandoned by the rest of the state, and too often abandoned by its suburban neighbors. Jesus didn't command his followers (us) to help only the people we like or who are like us - Jesus calls us to serve where we are planted. And for now, Jesus has planted me just outside the city of Trenton, NJ. This summer, I hope to see and experience this city more deeply, and also get to know a group of dedicated young people of faith.



Our LiT experience began (July 2nd) with an overnight retreat on Long Beach Island, thanks to the generous hospitality of Zion Lutheran in Bernaget Light. We listened to one another and shared with one another - we found many surprising similarities along with some interesting differences. We bring a rich amount of life experiences to the table. Together with Pastor Aaron of St. Bartholomew's in Trenton, who lead the retreat, we covenanted with one another about how to behave during the summer. But the day was not just all about the hard work of community and trust building - we took a field trip out to the beach and waded in the ocean and had pizza for dinner. The coolness of the air at the beach was so refreshing, and I felt so relieved to be out of the humidity at least for a little while.

Due to my own obligations, I was sad that I had to leave that evening, but I can already tell we have a very special group of young adults who are eager to be servants. God is going to use them to do some really great work this summer, and we ask that you would pray for them for the next six weeks.

During that time, you will be reading their reflections on what they are doing and experiencing. Please feel free to comment, sharing prayers or encouragement. LiT 2013 has officially begun!

God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved; God will help it when the morning dawns.
Psalm 46:5 


No comments:

Post a Comment