Faith, Young Adults, and Urban Partnernships

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Reflecting on Monday July 9


Hi! My name is Amanda. I'm 25 years old, and a sort-of member of Abiding Presence Lutheran Church (in reality, I'm Catholic). Part of my family is originally from Trenton. My Gram grew up on a farm in North Trenton, if you can believe it. However, my mom and dad chose to raise my brother and I in Levittown, right across the river.

Despite my Roman Catholic background, I wanted to join Lutherans In Trenton because of my close ties to my Gram, who is a member of the Lutheran Church. Additionally, I wanted to join due to my fierce love of Trenton. The prevalent problem of homelessness was another deciding factor in my decision to join Lutherans in Trenton. 

Monday started off with preparing for the start of vacation bible school. Katrina, Olivia, Genevee, and Nulah were the members of LIT who were at Saint Bart's with me. Of course, lots of parishioners were also at Saint Bart's to help.

I was put with the rainbows, who are five children who have just finished from 2nd and 3rdgrades. Each group has a fun hand motion and sound that we're supposed to do when we move from room to room. Ours is moving our hands in an arc while saying, “whoop, whoop, whoop.”

The other big thing that happened that I got put in charge of teaching everyone the hand motions for the VBS songs. Saint Bart's theme is Sky this year, so a lot of the songs have flying motions. It's a ton of fun. Thursday's song has dance moves that involve jumping up and down.

I'll be back on the 23rd-- in the mean time, stay tuned for some of my peer's posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment